Yamuna a metre above danger mark
New Delhi: Haryana on Monday released 7.44 lakh cusecs of water into Yamuna, the highest in a single day in the past 60 years, resulting in the river flowing nearly a metre above the danger mark in the national capital.
Fearing a flood-like situation, Delhi Government has appealed to people living in low-lying areas to move to safer places while senior officials were constantly monitoring the situation.
With the release of 7.44 lakh cusecs of water, the water level in the river rose to 205.62 metre, which could rise to 206.95 metre on Wednesday as per forecast. The danger mark is at 204.83 metres.
The water level had touched 206.78 metres last week. "Haryana has released nearly one crore cusecs of water this year which is the highest in the last 60 years," Rajkumar Chouhan, Flood Control and Irrigation Minister, told reporters here.
Chouhan said he has alerted concerned authorities to remain extremely vigilant besides deploying additional workforce to monitor the situation.
According to the Central Water Commission forecast, the water level will reach 205.65 m by this evening.
Chouhan said Irrigation and Flood Control Department has installed booster pumps in several areas along the river to pump out the water.
However, he said, there is no threat to Games Village even if the water level rises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof