Yamuna flowing 2 metre above danger mark in Delhi
New Delhi: Several low-lying areas along the Yamuna were on Wednesday flooded as the water level in the river was flowing two metres above the danger mark and inching towards touching the highest level of 207.49 m.
"The water level in the river rose to 207.12 m which is 2.29 m above the danger mark of 204.83 m. The water level is likely to go up further," a senior official of the Flood Control department said.
The highest water level of 207.49 m in Yamuna was recorded in 1978 when several areas in the city witnessed flash floods.
The city government has asked the army to be on alert for helping the civil administration, if required.
The river had crossed the danger level of 204.83 m yesterday morning, prompting authorities to evacuate around 2,000 people from various low-lying areas in east Delhi like Usmanpur, Yamuna Bazar, Bhajanpura and Shastri Park and set up relief camps for their shelter.
Officials said the water level is likely to go up further as Haryana released over 81,000 cusecs of water into Yamuna from the Hathnikund barrage today. The neighbouring state had released eight lakh cusecs of water on Monday and 1.5 lakh cusecs on Tuesday.
They said some low-lying areas near the river, including Garhi Mandu, Usmanpur Pusta and Jagatpur village were inundated by Yamuna waters.
In the past 40 years, the city had witnessed floods in 1967, 1971, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1988, 1995 and 1998.
The authorities have set up over 400 tents in four districts, including 240 in East, 100 in Southeast, 50 in Central and 30 in Northeast to accommodate the affected people.
The 145-year-old Old Yamuna Bridge connecting east Delhi with the heart of the national capital, was shut for rail and road traffic yesterday after the water level in Yamuna rose dangerously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!