Yamuna water level recedes further
New Delhi: With release of water by Haryana going down substantially, water level in the Yamuna receded on Thursday although it continued to flow above the danger mark.
An official in the flood control department said the water level which had risen to 205.80 metres in the morning came down to 205.58 metres in the evening.
The river is still flowing 75 cm above the danger mark
of 204.83 metres.
The official said the water level is likely to go down
further by tomorrow evening as Haryana released only 38,985
cusec of water into the river today.
Haryana had released over 13 lakh cusec of water into
Yamuna in the last eight days resulting in the rise in its
level. The water level had touched 206.78 metres on Saturday
evening, creating panic among the residents livening in
low-lying areas along the river.
The neighbouring state had released nearly 55,000 cusec
water yesterday against nearly three lakh cusec on Tuesday.
Though the water level has come down, nearly 3,000 people
from low-lying areas near the river are still staying in
several relief camps set up by Delhi Government.
Officials said some people have gone back to their homes
with improvement in the situation in their areas.
The rising river had flooded several localities of east
Delhi including Garhi Mandu, Usmanpur Pusta, Jagatpur Village
and Shastri Nagar. Flood water had also entered areas like
Yamuna Vihar, Madanpur, Sonia Vihar, Nigambodh, Jaitpur, Tibet
Market and Yamuna Bazar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore