Youth acquitted in gang-rape case in Delhi
New Delhi: A youth, who along with his two friends, was accused of gang-raping a girl after kidnapping her here in 2007, has been acquitted by a Delhi court which said there were "considerable discrepancies" in her statements regarding the incident.
The court acquitted Delhi resident Amit, who was initially declared as a proclaimed offender in May 2008 and was arrested later in April last year, observing that the prosecution has failed to prove that he had kidnapped and raped the girl.
Amit`s friend Keshav and Gabbar, who were also accused in the gang-rape case, were earlier arrested but were acquitted by the court in March 2010 due to lack of evidence against them.
While acquitting Amit, Additional Sessions Judge Illa Rawat said there were various discrepancies in the statements of the girl regarding the manner in which she was allegedly abducted and raped by the accused.
"There are considerable discrepancies brought out from the cross-examination of prosecutrix (girl) recorded on January 28, 2008 (during the trial of Keshav and Gabbar) and May 14, 2013 respectively (during Amit`s trial), regarding the manner in which prosecutrix claims she was abducted by accused Keshav and ultimately taken to a park where she was raped by accused Amit and accused Gabbar and Keshav," the judge said.
According to police, on June 17, 2007, the girl was going to her uncle`s house here and while she was on her way, auto driver Keshav, who was residing nearby, met her and took her in his auto on the pretext of giving her a ride.
Keshav took her to a park where Gabbar and Amit also came and raped her, it said, adding that Gabbar and Amit left the park while Keshav came outside the park with her and left her there and went away in his auto.
Police said that the girl came to her house and informed about the incident to her father, who caught Keshav and called the police and an FIR was lodged against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!