Youth dies in police custody, family stages protes
Faridabad: A youth died allegedly in police custody following which an irate mob on Saturday staged a protest outside a police station demanding action against the cops.
The family of 21-year-old Manish, a fruit vendor, has claimed that the deceased had been allegedly picked up by officials of Crimes Investigation Agency on May 7 and beaten up while in custody which led to his death, an official said.
Manish had once earlier been arrested in connection with a chain snatching case, he added.
According to the victim`s sister Babli, Manish had suffered several injuries and was vomiting blood after he returned home from police`s custody.
He was rushed to a civil hospital where he was referred to Safdarjung hospital. He was declared dead after he succumbed to his injuries.
Several people, including family and relatives of Manish, staged protest outside NIT police station with the body of the victim and also blocked the road, causing traffic jam for several hours.
Accusing the CIA officials guilty for Manish`s death, the victim`s family demanded a case of murder be registered against them.
The protesters dispersed only after Assistant Commissioner of Police, Ranchandra Rethi, assured them that their complaint had been registered and action will be taken if any of the officials were found guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report