Youth fakes kidnapping to repay loan with ransom money
New Delhi: A 24-year-old youth, who allegedly faked his kidnapping with the help of a smartphone application to repay his loan, has been arrested along with his accomplice, police said on Monday.
Mandeep alias Monu and his friend Jitender alias Jitu (24) were arrested yesterday by the staff of Central district police from Ganesh Nagar-II, Laxmi Nagar, they said.
"Mandeep faked his kidnapping as he needed money to repay a loan of Rs 3 lakh that he had lost in the share market. Jitender had helped him in his plan as he needed money to marry his girlfriend," said Additional Commissioner of Police (Central) Alok Kumar.
Jitender`s fiance was also found in the house from where the accused were arrested and her role in the crime is being investigated.
A case of kidnapping was registered at the Karol Bagh police station after Mandeep`s brother Sandeep reported that his brother had gone missing on Saturday.
"As per Sandeep, Mandeep had left for Panchkuian that morning, but did not reach there. His mobile phone was found switched off.
"In the evening, Sandeep received a call from Mandeep who claimed that he was on railway tracks at an unknown location and was being chased by some goons who wanted to kill him," said Kumar.
Sandeep received several calls on his mobile phone from the mobile of his brother in male and female voices, directing him to arrange Rs 5 lakh for Mandeep`s release.
The location of Mandeep`s mobile phone was traced to a house at Ganesh Nagar in Shakarpur, following which, a raid was carried out at the house from where Mandeep, Jitender and his fiance were found, police said.
"During interrogation, Mandeep revealed that he had planned his abduction about five days ago and roped in Jitender after promising him 40 per cent of the ransom money.
"Jitender hid him at his rented accommodation in Ganesh Nagar and got him a mobile phone with an App through which a man`s voice could be converted into that of a woman, old man, child or a robot," said Kumar.
Mandeep himself made most of the phone calls to his brother to demand the ransom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!