Youth gets 10-year jail for raping three-year-old girl
New Delhi: A 20-year-old youth has been jailed for 10 years for kidnapping and raping a three-year-old girl by a Delhi court which observed that children across the nation are at a "risk".
The court refused to show any leniency to Mohammed Moim, saying children of this age are vulnerable and easy prey to such sexual assaults.
"The victim in this case is just aged three years and she was subjected to horrific and sadistic sexual assault. A recent report by Asian Centre for Women Rights says that incidents of child rape have multiplied in the last decade.
"The recent horrific incidents of rape have created a furore in the society. It appears that across the nation childhood is at risk. The children of this age are vulnerable and easy prey to such sexual assaults. In view of these circumstances the convict deserves no leniency," Additional Sessions Judge Sanjay Garg said.
The court imposed a fine of Rs 3,000 on Moim. It directed that the copy of the judgement be sent to Delhi State Legal Services Authority, East Delhi, with a direction to pay compensation to the victim as per provisions of guidelines of Delhi Government under Victim Compensation Scheme.
According to police, the incident took place in November 2011, when the minor girl was playing outside her house. After the child`s father left the place, the youth took away the victim with him.
Bihar native Moim took the child to a park and raped her behind the bushes, it said, adding the victim`s father came to know from his neighbour that the youth had taken away his daughter and he went to Mandawali Police Station.
The child was rescued after two home guards caught the accused with the victim in a park and brought both of them to the police station where Moim was arrested.
The youth claimed that he was falsely implicated in the case.
The court rejected the contention of the defence counsel that the child was not examined in the case which is fatal to the prosecution case.
The judge said no doubt in such types of cases, statement of the victim is of utmost importance but here the child was just three-year-old and she was not called by the court to depose as she was too young to understand the incident.
By all parameters she cannot be put in the category of a competent witness to testify before the court, the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly