Youth gets 10 years jail for abducting, raping girl in Delhi
New Delhi: A youth has been jailed for 10 years by a Delhi court for kidnapping and raping an 18-year-old girl by giving her sedative-laced juice.
Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta held 24-year-old Mintu Kumar guilty of raping and causing hurt to the girl by giving her poison, kidnapping her to compel her for marriage and wrongfully confining her.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 22,000 on Kumar.
According to the prosecution, the incident took place on February 2, 2010, when the girl was sitting outside her house and Kumar, who was her neighbour and used to stalk her, brought juice for her and asked her to drink it.
When she refused, he insisted and after drinking it, she fell unconscious, it said, adding that Kumar then took her to a house in Wazirpur.
When the girl regained consciousness, she found that Kumar was lying next to her. He kept her in the slum dwelling for two days and repeatedly raped her, it said.
On February 4, 2010, when the accused had gone out for smoking, the victim escaped and called up her aunt from a public booth, who came there and took her home, it said.
The victim then disclosed the incident to her mother and aunt and a complaint was lodged against Kumar. He was arrested by Bharat Nagar police in northwest Delhi.
During the trial, Kumar pleaded that he was innocent and had been falsely implicated in the case, but he did not lead any evidence in his defence.
Kumar sought leniency in sentencing, saying he was working as a labourer in a shoe factory and recently got married and had to support his aged parents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB