Youth gets life term, two others 10 yrs each in shooting case
New Delhi: A 25-year-old man has been sentenced to life imprisonment and two other youths awarded 10 years each in jail by a Delhi court for attempting to kill a person by shooting him with a country-made pistol.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) T S Kashyap awarded the imprisonment to the three convicts, considering the physical condition and the disability caused to the victim by them.
The court sentenced Mohammed Nadim (25) to life term and awarded 10 years imprisonment each to his associates 22-year- old Naimuddin and 23-year-old Mohammed Haider for shooting the victim Sajid in the back and injuring him.
"Keeping in view the nature and gravity of offence, the injury caused on Sajid and his physical condition as well as his disability and mitigating circumstances in respect of the convicts, convict Nadim who is the main assailant and caused injury by gun-shot with the country-made pistol to Sajid, is sentenced to undergo rigorous imprisonment for life.
"Haider and Naimuddin are separately sentenced to undergo rigorous imprisonment for ten years each," the judge said.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on Nadim and Rs 3,000 each on Haider and Naimuddin.
According to the prosecution, in November 2008, when a function was going on in Sajid`s family in Mustafabad area in north-east Delhi, he was called by Nadim to meet him. During the meeting, Nadim, who was accompanied by Haider and Naimuddin, started abusing the victim, it said.
It said Nadim, who was beaten up by Sajid on the occasion of Eid, had told the victim that he wanted to take revenge. He then asked his two accomplices to catch hold of him, the police said, adding that Nadim shot the victim with a country-made pistol and they fled the spot.
The prosecution sought severe punishment for the trio, saying that Sajid has suffered grave injury and has been paralysed and the doctors have said that no further treatment can cure him during his lifetime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray