Youth jailed for 10 years for raping minor
New Delhi: A youth who had raped a minor
girl living in his neighbourhood after forcibly dragging her into his house two years ago has been sentenced to 10 years of imprisonment by a Delhi court.
District Judge O P Gupta sent Vinod Kumar in jail for 10
years for raping a 11-year-old girl, who was his neighbour.
"After considering the rival submissions, convict (Kumar)
is sentenced to undergo rigorous imprisonment for 10 years for
commission of offence under section 376(2) (f) (raping an
under 12 year old girl) of the IPC," the court said.
According to prosecution, the incident occurred in
October 2010 when the victim was playing outside her house in
West Delhi and Kumar, who resides near her place, asked her to
accompany him to his house.
When she refused, Kumar forcibly took her to his house and
raped her, police said, adding that she had become unconscious
after the incident. He was arrested the same day.
The victim told the court that Kumar, after raping her,
gave her Rs 15 to eat something from the market and had also
threatened her not to tell anyone about the incident.
Seeking severe punishment for the accused, the police had
submitted that such type of offences were increasing and they
need to be curbed with a heavy hand.
"This is more so when the victim is of tender age. Her
entire life had been spoilt. It is not a case of physical
injury alone but it is a case in which the soul of the witness
is also hurt," the prosecutor had said.
Kumar sought leniency he was a poor and was unable to
understand the consequences of his alleged act.
The court, however, refused to show leniency to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...