Youth jailed for 10 years for trying to rape three
New Delhi: A youth has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by a Delhi court for kidnapping and trying to rape a three-year-old girl, residing in his neighbourhood.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) M C Gupta held 23-year-old Sultanpuri resident Vijay guilty of kidnapping, attempting to rape and also commit unnatural sex with her, besides wrongfully confining and injuring her.
Vijay had taken the child to his room when she was playing at the ground floor of his house with his one-year-old brother and tried to rape her in March 2010.
Vijay, a sweeper, could not succeed in his evil plan as the girl started crying and managed to run away, the police had said adding Vijay had also slapped the minor several times when she raised an alarm.
The court convicted Vijay for the offences saying "the prosecution has been able to bring home the guilt of the accused beyond reasonable doubts and there is no room for hypothesis, consistent with that of his innocence."
"I am of the opinion that as far as the involvement of accused Vijay in the commission of the offences is concerned, the same is sufficiently established by the cogent and reliable evidence....
"The ends of justice can be met by sentencing convict to undergo rigorous imprisonment for 10 years," the judge said.
Vijay had sought leniency on the ground that he had to support his family and had clean antecedents.
The prosecutor, however, submitted that the convict be dealt with strictly and maximum punishment be given to deter him from committing the same offence in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez