Youth jailed for 7 yrs for bus conductor death
New Delhi: A murder convict, already serving
life term, has been sentenced to seven years imprisonment for
pushing to death the conductor of a bus owned by his father
from the vehicle`s roof during a scuffle in 2004.
Additional Sessions Judge Kaveri Baweja awarded Bijender
Kumar the jail term for unintentionally killing conductor
Satender after snatching Rs 1000 from him when he was sleeping
on the vehicle`s roof.
"I am convinced that the allegations against the
accused (Kumar) have been duly established on record. The
prosecution has been able to establish that it was Kumar, who
on the intervening night of May 28-29, 2004 pushed Satender,
who was sleeping on the roof of the bus, which ultimately
resulted in his death," said the judge.
Referring to Kumar`s conviction and sentencing in
another murder case during this period, the court termed the
facts of the case as "rather peculiar."
Holding Kumar, a Baljeet Nagar resident, guilty of
culpable homicide not amounting to murder, the court said it
was apparent that Kumar while pushing Satender from the bus
roof had the knowledge that his act was likely to cause his
death but he had no intention to kill him.
The incident occurred on May 28, 2004 night when Satender,
working as a conductor in a bus of Kumar`s father, was
sleeping on the vehicle roof in Prasad Nagar area.
According to police, Kumar pushed him down from the
vehicle roof while during a scuffle to snatch Rs 1000 from
him. Satender was rushed to hospital and he died after three
The court convicted Kumar rejecting his plea that neither
did he knew Satender nor did the bus belong to him.
"It has also come on record that Dharampal Gujjar, father
of Kumar, was taking care of all the expenses of treatment of
deceased Satender till the time he remained in the hospital,
which he would not have done otherwise," the court said.
"Surely no person would make any arrangements for
providing medical help to a total stranger," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi