Youth jailed for five years for trying to rape child
New Delhi: A youth has been sentenced to five years imprisonment for attempting to rape a four-year-old girl by a Delhi court which said such offenders should be dealt with an iron hand as they create a "sense of terror and insecurity" among girls and their parents.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain awarded the jail term to 20-year-old Mehdul, resident of Paharganj, for trying to rape the four-year-old daughter of his landlord.
According to police, the incident took place on April 22, last year when the child had gone out to play. When she did not return, her mother started searching for her.
On hearing the screams of the minor, her mother went to the area rented out to Mehdul and on opening the door of kitchen, she found that the accused was trying to rape her daughter, the police said, adding that, she tried to raise an alarm.
However, the accused fled from the spot.
She called the police and Mehdul was arrested later on.
While convicting Mehdul, the court said sexual assault is a serious offence in nature as it not only causes physical injury to the victim but also gives mental trauma.
"And the gravity of trauma multiplies many folds where the victim is an innocent minor. In the instant case, the victim was just four-year-old but the convict chose her to satisfy his lust.
"Moreover, such type of crimes not only create a sense of terror in the society, especially among the female children and their parents but also create sense of insecurity in them," the court observed.
The judge said to restore a sense of security among innocent children and society, "I am of the view that such offenders should be dealt with iron hands as and when their guilt is proved. Thus, in my opinion, it is not a fit case to impose token sentence as prayed by the counsel for the convict".
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on Mehdul and said, if realised, the amount should be given to the victim as compensation.
The court noted that had the woman not reached the kitchen at the right time, the accused would have succeeded in his attempt.
The accused claimed that he was falsely implicated in the case as a quarrel had taken place between him and the victim`s mother few days before the incident and she had intended to get the premises vacated from him and his family.
The court, however, refused to accept his contention saying mere fact that some quarrel had taken place between the woman and the family of the accused on the point of rent or premises, is not sufficient enough to cull out that she would use her minor daughter to implicate the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in