Youth jailed for five years for trying to rape child
New Delhi: A youth has been sentenced to five years imprisonment for attempting to rape a four-year-old girl by a Delhi court which said such offenders should be dealt with an iron hand as they create a "sense of terror and insecurity" among girls and their parents.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain awarded the jail term to 20-year-old Mehdul, resident of Paharganj, for trying to rape the four-year-old daughter of his landlord.
According to police, the incident took place on April 22, last year when the child had gone out to play. When she did not return, her mother started searching for her.
On hearing the screams of the minor, her mother went to the area rented out to Mehdul and on opening the door of kitchen, she found that the accused was trying to rape her daughter, the police said, adding that, she tried to raise an alarm.
However, the accused fled from the spot.
She called the police and Mehdul was arrested later on.
While convicting Mehdul, the court said sexual assault is a serious offence in nature as it not only causes physical injury to the victim but also gives mental trauma.
"And the gravity of trauma multiplies many folds where the victim is an innocent minor. In the instant case, the victim was just four-year-old but the convict chose her to satisfy his lust.
"Moreover, such type of crimes not only create a sense of terror in the society, especially among the female children and their parents but also create sense of insecurity in them," the court observed.
The judge said to restore a sense of security among innocent children and society, "I am of the view that such offenders should be dealt with iron hands as and when their guilt is proved. Thus, in my opinion, it is not a fit case to impose token sentence as prayed by the counsel for the convict".
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on Mehdul and said, if realised, the amount should be given to the victim as compensation.
The court noted that had the woman not reached the kitchen at the right time, the accused would have succeeded in his attempt.
The accused claimed that he was falsely implicated in the case as a quarrel had taken place between him and the victim`s mother few days before the incident and she had intended to get the premises vacated from him and his family.
The court, however, refused to accept his contention saying mere fact that some quarrel had taken place between the woman and the family of the accused on the point of rent or premises, is not sufficient enough to cull out that she would use her minor daughter to implicate the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes