Youth jailed for life for murdering man for cigarette
New Delhi: A youth, who had murdered a man for failing to give him a cigarette, has been sentenced to rigorous life imprisonment by a Delhi court which said he has no value of a human being.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau awarded the jail term to 25-year-old Rakesh for stabbing victim Suraj with a knife leading to his death, saying he did not hesitate to take law in his hands and evidence showed that he had the habit of snatching money from poor persons.
"The convict has no value for human life. He has taken away the life of a young man aged 32 years who had come to Delhi to earn his living only because the poor boy could not satisfy his (convict`s) addictive urge for a cigarette," the court said and also imposed a fine of Rs 15,000 upon Rakesh.
According to the prosecution, the incident took place on the evening of November 27, 2010 in Sultanpuri area when Rakesh had demanded a cigarette from Suraj.
The police said Suraj had gone to the market with his uncle and cousin and on their way back to home, they started smoking `beedi`. In the meantime, accused Rakesh who was known to them asked the victim to give him a cigarette.
The victim told him that he did not have a cigarette following which Rakesh threatened to kill him if he failed to provide him with the same.
Due to Suraj`s inability to give cigarette, Rakesh took out a knife and stabbed him on his chest, it said.
Suraj`s relatives, who were standing at a distance, threw a brick on the accused after which he fled from the spot and they took the injured to a hospital where he was declared brought dead by the doctors, the police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview