Youth jailed for life for murdering man for cigarette
New Delhi: A youth, who had murdered a man for failing to give him a cigarette, has been sentenced to rigorous life imprisonment by a Delhi court which said he has no value of a human being.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau awarded the jail term to 25-year-old Rakesh for stabbing victim Suraj with a knife leading to his death, saying he did not hesitate to take law in his hands and evidence showed that he had the habit of snatching money from poor persons.
"The convict has no value for human life. He has taken away the life of a young man aged 32 years who had come to Delhi to earn his living only because the poor boy could not satisfy his (convict`s) addictive urge for a cigarette," the court said and also imposed a fine of Rs 15,000 upon Rakesh.
According to the prosecution, the incident took place on the evening of November 27, 2010 in Sultanpuri area when Rakesh had demanded a cigarette from Suraj.
The police said Suraj had gone to the market with his uncle and cousin and on their way back to home, they started smoking `beedi`. In the meantime, accused Rakesh who was known to them asked the victim to give him a cigarette.
The victim told him that he did not have a cigarette following which Rakesh threatened to kill him if he failed to provide him with the same.
Due to Suraj`s inability to give cigarette, Rakesh took out a knife and stabbed him on his chest, it said.
Suraj`s relatives, who were standing at a distance, threw a brick on the accused after which he fled from the spot and they took the injured to a hospital where he was declared brought dead by the doctors, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town