Youth jailed till death for wife`s murder in Delhi
New Delhi: A 24-year-old man has been
sentenced to imprisonment till death for killing his teenage
wife by slitting her throat in a market following a
matrimonial dispute, in a rare verdict by a Delhi court which
denied the youth any remission citing his "insensitivity".
"The insensitivity of the convict (husband) is writ
large from the fact that he did not even consider the future
of one-and-a-half-year-old daughter apart from the fact that
wife was hardly aged 18 years when she lost her life at the
hands of convict in a cowardly act," Additional Sessions Judge
S S Rathi said while sentencing Shashi for killing his wife
Kavita in the presence of her mother in November, 2008.
Usually, the courts do not spell out the period to be
served in prison while awarding life imprisonment to convicts
who are entitled for various kinds of remissions in sentence
as per the provisions of the jail manual or rules.
The judge said the convict, who indulged in the
cowardly act, will remain in jail till death and cannot avail
The court, however, said that though the offence was
brutal but his young age at the time of the offence did not
warrant the award of the capital punishment.
It also slapped a fine of Rs 50,000 on the convict and
directed that out of the total fine amount, Rs 40,000 be given
to the victim`s mother as token compensation.
Shashi slit the throat of his estranged wife on
November 21, 2008 around 3 PM in a busy market at Paharganj
here after she refused to go along with him to her matrimonial
home. Kavita was murdered within three years of their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS