Youth`s deposition fetches life term for killer
New Delhi: The eye witness account of a
brave youth, who not only tried to save the life of a
youngster as he was being stabbed but also chased the
attackers, has led to the conviction of one of the killers.
Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta awarded life
imprisonment to north-east Delhi resident Gagan saying that
eye witness Vinay Kumar "categorically identified him (Gagan)
as one of the persons who was stabbing the injured (Chhutku)
and who ran away from the spot."
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 3,000 on Gagan.
"As regards accused Gagan is concerned, there is
ample material available on record viz eyewitness account, his
refusal to join Test Identification Parade, recovery of his
blood-stained T-shirt which he was wearing at the time of the
incident, recovery of the weapon of offence at his instance,
and other medical and scientific evidence to connect him with
commission of the crime," the court said.
The incident dates back to December 2008, when Vinay
was returning his home in north east Delhi on his motorcycle
On his way back home, he saw three-four knife wielding
youths catching hold of a youngster, later identified as
Chhutku, at Gokulpuri fly over and trying to snatch his bag.
As Chhutku resisted the robbers, they began stabbing
him, Vinay told the court, following which he stopped his bike
and tried to save the victim.
As the robbers saw him approaching, they tried to
escape. Vinay along with some other passersby chased them and
nabbed one of the alleged assailants, identified as Vinod.
Vinay called a PCR but before the police could reach
the spot, Chhutku succumbed to his injuries.
Gagan was arrested later in January 2009 for his role
in the stabbing incident. Another accused Bhim could not be
Though Vinod was allegedly apprehended while fleeing,
the prosecution failed to prove his role in the crime and he
During adjudication of the trial, Gagan refused to
join TIP proceedings at Tihar Jail and alleged that he was
"lifted" from his house and was implicated in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan