14 bird species on verge of extinction in India
New Delhi: At least 14 species of birds from India are on the verge of extinction due to poaching, over use of pesticides and loss of habitat, government said today.
However, the "National Bird" peacock is not currently under the threat of extinction, Minister of Environment and Forests Jayanthi Natarajan said.
"According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species, 14 species of birds from India are critically endangered, which do not include peacocks," she said in a written reply to Lok Sabha.
"The major threats being faced by these bird species include habital destruction, poaching, indiscriminate use of pesticides and chemicals harmful to birds ect," she explained.
According to the IUCN list, the critically endangered birds include White-rumped Vulture, Indian Vulture, Red-headed Vulture, Pink-headed Duck, White-belled Heron, Sociable Lapwing, Christmas Frigatebird, Jerdon`s Courser, Siberian Crane, Bengal Florican, Himalayan Quail, Forest Owlet, Spoon-billed Sandpiper.
Describing the measures taken to protect these endangered birds, the Minister said the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, provides for stringent punishments for those violating the provisions of the act.
Besides, Wildlife Crime Control Bureau has been set up to control the illegal trade in wildlife, including endangered birds and their parts or products, she added.
Replying to another query on the impact of communication towers on wildlife including birds and bees, Natarajan said the report of the "Expert Committee" to study the matter is under examination of the Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire