14 bird species on verge of extinction in India
New Delhi: At least 14 species of birds from India are on the verge of extinction due to poaching, over use of pesticides and loss of habitat, government said today.
However, the "National Bird" peacock is not currently under the threat of extinction, Minister of Environment and Forests Jayanthi Natarajan said.
"According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species, 14 species of birds from India are critically endangered, which do not include peacocks," she said in a written reply to Lok Sabha.
"The major threats being faced by these bird species include habital destruction, poaching, indiscriminate use of pesticides and chemicals harmful to birds ect," she explained.
According to the IUCN list, the critically endangered birds include White-rumped Vulture, Indian Vulture, Red-headed Vulture, Pink-headed Duck, White-belled Heron, Sociable Lapwing, Christmas Frigatebird, Jerdon`s Courser, Siberian Crane, Bengal Florican, Himalayan Quail, Forest Owlet, Spoon-billed Sandpiper.
Describing the measures taken to protect these endangered birds, the Minister said the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, provides for stringent punishments for those violating the provisions of the act.
Besides, Wildlife Crime Control Bureau has been set up to control the illegal trade in wildlife, including endangered birds and their parts or products, she added.
Replying to another query on the impact of communication towers on wildlife including birds and bees, Natarajan said the report of the "Expert Committee" to study the matter is under examination of the Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city