14 bird species on verge of extinction in India
New Delhi: At least 14 species of birds from India are on the verge of extinction due to poaching, over use of pesticides and loss of habitat, government said today.
However, the "National Bird" peacock is not currently under the threat of extinction, Minister of Environment and Forests Jayanthi Natarajan said.
"According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species, 14 species of birds from India are critically endangered, which do not include peacocks," she said in a written reply to Lok Sabha.
"The major threats being faced by these bird species include habital destruction, poaching, indiscriminate use of pesticides and chemicals harmful to birds ect," she explained.
According to the IUCN list, the critically endangered birds include White-rumped Vulture, Indian Vulture, Red-headed Vulture, Pink-headed Duck, White-belled Heron, Sociable Lapwing, Christmas Frigatebird, Jerdon`s Courser, Siberian Crane, Bengal Florican, Himalayan Quail, Forest Owlet, Spoon-billed Sandpiper.
Describing the measures taken to protect these endangered birds, the Minister said the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, provides for stringent punishments for those violating the provisions of the act.
Besides, Wildlife Crime Control Bureau has been set up to control the illegal trade in wildlife, including endangered birds and their parts or products, she added.
Replying to another query on the impact of communication towers on wildlife including birds and bees, Natarajan said the report of the "Expert Committee" to study the matter is under examination of the Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next
- 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore train derail in Kerala
- Hilarious: Sonakshi Sinha trolls Air India pilot on Snapchat! - Know why
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day
- Is Ramdev coming up with world-class varsity near Delhi like University of Houston?