14,000 trees to fall for Delhi Metro
New Delhi: A total of 14,298 trees are likely to be felled here during the third phase of Delhi metro, the Lok Sabha was informed Monday.
Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan said the Delhi Metro Rail Corp (DMRC) has submitted a proposal indicating removal of the trees.
Natarajan said that no assessment had been made by the government about its adverse effect on the environment.
"The application for removal of trees is scrutinized in accordance with the provisions made in the Delhi Preservations of Tress Act and the Forest Conservation Act," she said.
The Metro Phase III will cost Rs.27,500 crore and is expected to be completed by March 2016.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'