15,590-year-old saber-toothed cat fossils unearthed near Vegas
New York: A pair of fossils believed to be that of a saber-toothed cat has been discovered in the hills north of Las Vegas.
According to the Las Vegas Review Journal, a team from California’s San Bernardino County Museum identified the fossils dug up in June as being front leg bones from the extinct predator, the New York Daily News reported.
According to Kathleen Springer, the museum’s senior curator, the saber-tooth fossils are considered to be approximately 15,590 years old.
Springer is the head of the team that has been studying the wash for a decade and been collecting fossils there under a contract with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management since 2008.
She said that the bones of Las Vegas’ only known saber-toothed cat are still being studied and there are no immediate plans to display them
The discovery marks the first of its kind in the fossil-rich Upper Las Vegas Wash.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!