156 rhinos killed by poachers in last ten years in Assam
Guwahati: Altogether 156 rhinos were killed, including 40 during the current year alone, by poachers in Assam, a senior minister said.
In 1999, only six rhinos were killed, Minister for Forest and Environment Rakibul Hussain said here yesterday.
The rhino population, however, increased from 1,762 in 1999 to 2,544 this year, he said.
Meanwhile, 467 people died in conflict with elephants during the last seven years with the highest 94 deaths recorded in 2009-2010.
In 2011-2012, the number of deaths was 92, while 43 people lost their lives till November this year.
Hussain said that the families of those killed in conflict with elephants were compensated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH