18 Greenpeace activists climb Greenland oil rig
Stockholm: Eighteen Greenpeace activists have climbed a 53,000-ton oil rig in the Arctic waters off Greenland to protest deep-water drilling by a Scottish oil company, the environmental group said on Saturday.
The activists claim that Cairn Energy, which runs the Leiv Eiriksson rig, is not taking enough precautions to avoid accidents like the Gulf of Mexico blowout in 2010, and demand the group release a plan for how to manage a potential oil spill.
The activists launched five inflatable speed boats from the Greenpeace ship Esperanza early morning, bypassing the Danish navy and scaling the giant rig to make their way to the drill manager`s office.
The group said an oil response plan has not been
"Cairn Energy is hiding its oil spill response plan so we`re going to the one place where there must be a copy of it," Greenpeace campaigner Ben Ayliffe said.
"It`s obvious why Cairn won`t tell the world how it would clean up a BP-style oil spill here in the Arctic, and that`s because it can`t be done," he said.
The group claims the remoteness and freezing temperatures in the area would make a cleanup extremely difficult.
Cairn, which last month won permission to drill up to seven oil exploration wells off the Arctic island`s west coast, could not immediately be reached for comment on Saturday.
Greenland`s government has called the Greenpeace action a publicity stunt at the expense of Greenland`s "legitimate right" to develop its economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’