183 species of butterfly identified at Namdhapa National Park
Itanagar: Butterfly lovers identified and
photo documented 183 species of `flying beauties` in the
buffer area of the Namdhapa national park in Arunachal Pradesh
during the five-day 13th Butterfly India Meet (BMI-2010) which
concluded on Friday.
Due to rain the participants from various parts of the
country could not venture into the core area of the national
park, said Ariff Siddiqui, an eminent nature photographer and
one of the organisers of the meet.
However, the exploration was highly encouraging for the
participants as they believe more species are to be found in
the core areas of the forests which they like to explore soon.
The 30 participants also identified in numerous moths
apart from the sightings of some glittering beetles like
`Golden Tortoise` .
This was an encouraging indicator for existence of many
other species of the butterflies in the core area in Namdhapa
and beyond that when type of forests and profile of hill
changes, if count touches a figure of 183 in the buffer area"
explained Dr Alfred, former director, Zoological Survey of
"The event was held for the thirteenth time at the
various locations of India and this is the second time we have
got the opportunity to explore Arunachal Pradesh in North
East" said Butterfly India Group Moderator Vijay Barve in a
speech at the end of the meet.
Colonel Sandeep Choudhury of 18 Assam Rifles, Jairampur
and S J Jongsam, Namdapha national park field director, lauded
the participants for their enthusiasm in identifying so many
species despite bad weather condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola