1st photos of amur leopard captured since 1949
New Delhi: Chinese researchers have captured photos of the endangered amur leopard from a forest in northeast China’s Jilin Province for the first time since 1949.
The amur leopard, one of the world’s most endangered large cats, has been spotted in a forest in the province’s Yanbian prefecture, said Sun Ge, a doctoral candidate at Peking University, who captured the images of the animal using automatic infrared cameras.
According to English.news.cn, Sun and his assistant set up 40 of the cameras three months ago, returning to collect photos every twenty days.
One of the cameras managed to capture the animal on Sept. 19 in Wangqing County, which borders Russia and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
China’s frontier guard troop previously took pictures of the amur leopard on April 13 this year in the Huichun Nature Reserve in Yanbian, according to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
The total number of amur leopards living in the wild is believed to be no more than 50 worldwide, with about ten living in China, Sun said.
The species used to be more widely distributed, but shrunk due to a lack of prey, he said, adding that environmental damage and poaching are also to blame.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez