20,000 migratory birds sighted in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
Morigaon: Over 20,000 migratory birds have been sighted in the Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary in Assam`s Morigaon district with the advent of winter.
Among the 214 species of avian fauna found at the sanctuary, 14 are threatened species and 46 are resident birds, officials said.
The Lesser Whistling Teal and the Greater Whistling Teal have also been sighted here, they said.
Birds of prey Osprey or the fish eating eagle, hawks and falcons of different species as well as endangered storks are attracted to Pobitora`s aquatic environment, rich in fish and other aquatic fauna.
Pobitora`s authority has appealed the tourists and picnickers not to create sound pollution in the sanctuary which would harm the environment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed