2009 among top five warmest years
London: 2009 will be among the top five warmest years globally unless there is an exceptionally cold spell before it ends.
Since records began 150 years ago, only four other years have been so warm.
The weather experts are blaming it on global warming. It is also the result of the Pacific La Nina current.
But the influence of La Nina declined in the spring and the Met Office project that, barring a very cold December, this year will be the fifth warmest on record.
Other sources say it could even be the third warmest.
The last ten years have been in the top 15 warmest on record. The summer temperatures this year have been higher than the long-term average.
The scenario in 2010 is going to be worst as El Nino effect is likely to show itself next year. There is a 50% chance that the global temperatures will hit an all-time high in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you