365 new species of wildlife found in Peru park
Washington: Scientists have discovered 365 previously undocumented species of wildlife in Bahuaja Sonene National Park (BSNP) in southeastern Peru.
Fifteen researchers participated in the Wildlife Conservation Society’s (WCS) Peru program focusing on plant life, insects, birds, mammals, and reptiles.
The discovery included: thirty undocumented bird species, including the black-and-white hawk eagle, Wilson’s phalarope, and ash colored cuckoo; two undocumented mammals – Niceforo’s big-eared bat and the Tricolored Bat; as well as 233 undocumented species of butterflies and moths.
This expedition was especially important because it was the first time that research of this scale has been carried out in Bahuaja Sonene National Park since it was created in 1996.
“The discovery of even more species in this park underscores the importance of ongoing conservation work in this region. This park is truly one of the crown jewels of Latin America’s impressive network of protected areas,” said Dr. Julie Kunen, WCS Director of Latin America and Caribbean Programs.
BSNP contains more than 600 bird species including seven different types of macaw, more than 180 mammal species, more than 50 reptiles and amphibian species, 180 fish varieties, and 1,300 types of butterfly.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5