50,000-year-old bison skull found in Ukraine
Kiev: A Ukrainian expedition team has discovered a 50,000-year-old bison skull in a cave in the country`s Crimea peninsula, said a senior expert related to the study of caves.
It was found during a paleontological study, or the scientific study of pre-historic life.
"Skull fragments have been found. The paleontologists hope to discover the remains of the bison`s stomach contents to get more information about the Crimean flora at that time [50,000 years ago]," said Igor Timokhin, a senior speleologist.
The discovery was made in December 2012 in the Emine-Bair Khosar cave, a natural animal graveyard.
Many of the animals whose remains were found there fell into a vertical well, connecting the cave with the surface of the Chatyrdag plateau, a mountainous massif.
Mammoth lion and bear remains have previously been found in the cave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah