50,000-year-old bison skull found in Ukraine
Kiev: A Ukrainian expedition team has discovered a 50,000-year-old bison skull in a cave in the country`s Crimea peninsula, said a senior expert related to the study of caves.
It was found during a paleontological study, or the scientific study of pre-historic life.
"Skull fragments have been found. The paleontologists hope to discover the remains of the bison`s stomach contents to get more information about the Crimean flora at that time [50,000 years ago]," said Igor Timokhin, a senior speleologist.
The discovery was made in December 2012 in the Emine-Bair Khosar cave, a natural animal graveyard.
Many of the animals whose remains were found there fell into a vertical well, connecting the cave with the surface of the Chatyrdag plateau, a mountainous massif.
Mammoth lion and bear remains have previously been found in the cave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!