64 Lesser Flamingos found killed near Rajkot
Ahmedabad: As many as 64 Lesser Flamingos smallest among Flamingos -- have been found killed, allegedly by poachers, in a wetland in Maliya-Miyana taluka of Rajkot district.
The massacre occurred at a wetland near Venasar village, about 100 km from Rajkot city, where severed heads and feathers of these migratory birds were found, forest officials said today.
The birds must have been killed about 7-10 days back, they added. It was suspected to be poachers` handiwork. A team of forensic science experts visited the site and collected samples of the dead birds, for ascertaining the
cause of death.
Large number of Lesser Flamingos have come to the wetland near Rajkot this year.
On December 1 last year, 139 Greater Flamingos were found electrocuted in the Khadir region in the Kutch Desert Wildlife Sanctuary after hitting high-tension electricity transmission cables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon