64 Lesser Flamingos found killed near Rajkot
Ahmedabad: As many as 64 Lesser Flamingos smallest among Flamingos -- have been found killed, allegedly by poachers, in a wetland in Maliya-Miyana taluka of Rajkot district.
The massacre occurred at a wetland near Venasar village, about 100 km from Rajkot city, where severed heads and feathers of these migratory birds were found, forest officials said today.
The birds must have been killed about 7-10 days back, they added. It was suspected to be poachers` handiwork. A team of forensic science experts visited the site and collected samples of the dead birds, for ascertaining the
cause of death.
Large number of Lesser Flamingos have come to the wetland near Rajkot this year.
On December 1 last year, 139 Greater Flamingos were found electrocuted in the Khadir region in the Kutch Desert Wildlife Sanctuary after hitting high-tension electricity transmission cables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31