718 elephants killed in Odisha since 2000: Ministe
Bhubaneswar: 718 elephants have died in since 2000 due to different reasons, Odisha government Tuesday told the state assembly.
This was stated by Forest and Environment Minister Bijayshree Routray while replying a question. He said the state government had identified 14 elephant corridors in the and taken up a five-year comprehensive project for their development in an effort to reduce man-animal conflict.
“We aim to complete the Rs 45.79-crore project by the end of 2016-17,” Routray said.
The places proposed to be declared as elephant corridors are -Similipal, Badampahar, Badampahar-Karida, Hadgada-Kulad, Telkoi-Pallahara, Deuli-Suliapada, Karei-Karampada, Kanheijena-Anantpur, Maulaganj-Jindimal-Anantpur, Buguda-Nayagarh, Nuagaon-Baruni, Barpahar-Tarabha-Kantamal, Tala-Kholagarh, Kotagarh-Chandrapur and Karlapat-Bharladani.
The minister said the corridors would provide better habitats for the pachyderms with adequate water bodies, food availability and security.
The corridors would be spread over 870 sq km and will be 420.8 km long. It would include three inter-state corridors with West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand, officials said.
The jumbo population Odisha was 1,886 according to the 2010 census.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest