72-mn-yr-old armoured dinosaur`s brain recreated
Washington: Scientists have gained valuable insights into the brain of a 72 million-year-old dinosaur after its skull broke down recently.
Lead researcher Tetsuto Miyashita, a University of Alberta master’s student in paleontology, and his colleagues took a rare look inside the skull of a Euoplocephalus and came away with unprecedented details on the brain and nasal passages of the animal.
CT scans from undamaged Euoplocephalus skulls are helping the team to reconstruct the twisted, looping nasal passages and brain chamber.
The researchers claimed that the entire brain of a Euoplocephalus would fit inside a coffee mug, but the size was not small for a dinosaur.
They also claimed that the dinosaur possibly generated sound through its looping nasal passages.
The reconstructed inner ear was tuned for this ‘nasal roar’, as the length of the ear indicates that the dinosaur was sensitive to low-frequency sounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'