72-mn-yr-old armoured dinosaur`s brain recreated
Washington: Scientists have gained valuable insights into the brain of a 72 million-year-old dinosaur after its skull broke down recently.
Lead researcher Tetsuto Miyashita, a University of Alberta master’s student in paleontology, and his colleagues took a rare look inside the skull of a Euoplocephalus and came away with unprecedented details on the brain and nasal passages of the animal.
CT scans from undamaged Euoplocephalus skulls are helping the team to reconstruct the twisted, looping nasal passages and brain chamber.
The researchers claimed that the entire brain of a Euoplocephalus would fit inside a coffee mug, but the size was not small for a dinosaur.
They also claimed that the dinosaur possibly generated sound through its looping nasal passages.
The reconstructed inner ear was tuned for this ‘nasal roar’, as the length of the ear indicates that the dinosaur was sensitive to low-frequency sounds.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis