75% of Himalayan glaciers retreating: ISRO
New Delhi: Satellite images collected by Indian Space Research Organisation`s (ISRO) Resourcesat-1 show that 75% of Himalayan glaciers have on average retreated by 3.75km over a period of 15 years (1989-2004).
"I can`t say we are in a comfortable position because you can see that 75% of the glaciers have retreated. Only 8% have advanced and 17% are stable," Dr Ajai, group director, Marine, Geo and Planetary Science Group (MPSG), Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, told a leading English daily.
The project was undertaken to break myths about the disappearance of Himalayan glaciers. It was commissioned by the Department of Science and Ministry of Environment and Forests. Around 50 experts and 14 organizations studied 2,190 glaciers covering the basins of the Indus, Ganga and Brahmaputra, as well as parts of China, Nepal, Bhutan and Pakistan.
This report has come on the heels of the IPCC controversy. In 2007, IPCC claimed that the Himalayan glaciers will disappear by 2035. The statement was later retracted when it was discovered that the finding was based on a quote given to journalists.
"Many Himalayan glaciers are still in a healthy condition. They will not disappear. And the cause for retreat of these glaciers is not only high temperatures," Dr Ajai said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks