75% of Himalayan glaciers retreating: ISRO
New Delhi: Satellite images collected by Indian Space Research Organisation`s (ISRO) Resourcesat-1 show that 75% of Himalayan glaciers have on average retreated by 3.75km over a period of 15 years (1989-2004).
"I can`t say we are in a comfortable position because you can see that 75% of the glaciers have retreated. Only 8% have advanced and 17% are stable," Dr Ajai, group director, Marine, Geo and Planetary Science Group (MPSG), Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, told a leading English daily.
The project was undertaken to break myths about the disappearance of Himalayan glaciers. It was commissioned by the Department of Science and Ministry of Environment and Forests. Around 50 experts and 14 organizations studied 2,190 glaciers covering the basins of the Indus, Ganga and Brahmaputra, as well as parts of China, Nepal, Bhutan and Pakistan.
This report has come on the heels of the IPCC controversy. In 2007, IPCC claimed that the Himalayan glaciers will disappear by 2035. The statement was later retracted when it was discovered that the finding was based on a quote given to journalists.
"Many Himalayan glaciers are still in a healthy condition. They will not disappear. And the cause for retreat of these glaciers is not only high temperatures," Dr Ajai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy