80% urban sewage left untreated in India: Study
New Delhi: Nearly 80 per cent of urban sewage is left untreated which is "killing" Indian rivers, a study has said.
According to the study, conducted by Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), only 20 per cent of the 40,000 odd million litres of sewage is treated every day, "creating a ticking health bomb in India".
The study titled `Excreta Does Matter`, released at the second Anil Agarwal dialogue on water and waste water management here, blamed weak enforcement of environmental laws, rapid urban development and lack of awareness about dangers of sewage for the water pollution.
It finds most cities lacking basic policy direction on how best to tackle issues of demand, supply and treatment of water, and management of sewage.
Meanwhile, Vice President Hamid Ansari at the event said, "There is a serious lack of foresight in urban sewage and wastewater management in the country."
This has led to a situation where India, which has the capacity to treat one third of its sewage, can actually treat only one-fifth, he said.
Leading environmentalist and CSE head Sunita Narain said, "Cities plan for water but forget about their waste. More water equals more waste...Cities have no clue how they will treat it, clean rivers...78 per cent of our sewage is officially untreated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof