A frog specie that remain faithful for life
London: Scientists have identified a species of frog in which the male and the female remain faithful for life.
The size of the pool in which they lay tadpoles is the only reason that prevents the amphibian`s from straying, the researchers claimed.
Genetic tests of male and female of mimic poison frog -- a species of Peruvian poison frog found in the rainforest of South America -- has showed that they are monogamous.
For their study, a team led by biologist Dr Jason Brown, then of East Carolina University, sampled the DNA of a dozen pairs of adult frogs and the subsequent generations of
tadpoles they produced.
Of 12 frog families, 11 had males and females that remained continually faithful to one another, together producing all their offspring. In the twelfth family, a male
frog mated with two females.
"Others have found evidence of social monogamy in amphibians where parents remain paired, however they didn`t look at the genetics of these couples and their offspring to
confirm this," Dr Brown was quoted as saying by the BBC.
"Or they have looked at the genetics and observed that they are actually promiscuous."
So that makes the mimic poison frog the first confirmed monogamous amphibian, he said.
As per the details of the frog`s sex life published in the journal The American Naturalist, after mating, a female mimic poison frog lays eggs on the surface of leaves.
The male frog transfers the tadpoles -- which hatch from the eggs -- to pools of water which collect in bromeliad leaves high up in the branches of trees and looks after them.
When the tadpoles become hungry, the male calls to his female partner who arrives to lay a non-fertile egg in each pool, which the tadpole eats as food.
When the researchers moved tadpoles into different sized pools, they found that they grew quickly in the larger pools -- which contained more nutrients, but could not survive alone in smaller ones.
Overall, the researchers believe they have found convincing evidence of an evolutionary chain of causation: changing the breeding pool size forced the mimic poison frog
to change its system of parental care, with males and females working together. That then culminated in social and genetic monogamy.
If the pools were bigger, the frogs wouldn`t have to remain faithful, as they wouldn`t be tied by their need to work together to raise their brood.
"This is the first discovery of a truly monogamous amphibian. These frogs are truly devoted to their offspring, and to each other," said Dr Brown, who is now studying at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt