About 450 tigers died in past 12 years
New Delhi: Nearly 450 tigers have died in and around a number of natural habitats in the last 12 years mainly due to poaching, reflecting the threats posed to the national animal.
According to an RTI reply from the Ministry of Environment and Forests, 447 wild cats were found dead between 1999 and March 2011, of which 197 were poached.
Besides, 250 wild cats died of natural causes including old age, infighting, starvation, road and rail accidents, electrocution and weakness.
The Ministry also noted that poaching was the major cause behind disappearance of tigers from its reserves.
"The cases of local extinction of tigers were reported in Sariska, Rajasthan (2005) and Panna, Madhya Pradesh (2008).
As reported, poachings of tigers was the major cause of their extinction," National Tiger Conservation Authority under the MoEF said in the reply to an RTI query filed by Ashwini
72 tigers were poached in 2001 and 2002 followed by 48 in 1999 and in 2010, it said. Two tigers were found killed between January and March 17 this year, the reply said.
Whereas 20 wild cats were killed in 2003, 17 in 2009, 10 in 2007, nine each were killed in 2000 and 2008, and five fell prey to hunters in 2006, it said.
The Environment Ministry, however, did not give details of action taken reports in cases of poaching, saying concerned state governments were the custodian of information.
"Action against the cases related to poaching is taken by state governments under the provision of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 and other relevant Acts," the ministry
"You are requested to contact respective state governments for detailed information on action taken report against each case of poaching," it said.
Altogether, 66 wild cats died in 2009, 59 in 2002, 52 in 2010, 44 in 2001, 33 in 1999, 31 in 2008 and 30 in 2007, the reply said. According to the ministry, 44 were killed in
2004 and 2006, 10 in 2000 and 34 each in 2005 and 2011 (up to March).
The MoEF said various legal, administrative and financial steps were being taken to check poaching and support conservation of wild animals. "Enhancement of punishment in
cases of offence relating to a tiger reserve or its corearea," the reply said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22