Activists head to Cancun as talks hit obstacles
Mexico City: More than 400 international environmental activists left Mexico City Wednesday in a convoy headed to a UN climate conference in Cancun, where they plan to meet Bolivian President Evo Morales.
Some 14 buses transported activists from Latin America, Europe and Asia on a more than 1,000-mile (1,700-kilometer) journey from Mexico City, to include stops in several cities on the way to the Caribbean coast.
"We`re going to meet on December 7 with (Bolivian) President Evo Morales, who is the only president who has shown his intention to attend the conference (apart from Mexican President Felipe Calderon)," said Alberto Gomez, spokesman for the organizers, La Via Campesina, an international movement of farm workers and peasants.
"We`re going to demand that governments find real mechanisms to reduce carbon emissions by 50 percent instead of a market of quotas that`s on the table, which will only serve to increase the earnings of multinational companies," Gomez said.
Farm workers already suffer directly from climate change through worsening natural phenomena like hurricanes and droughts, he added.
The convoy set off as the world climate talks already struck a sour note on their third day, as Japan was accused of weakening the campaign for a post-2012 global emissions treaty by retreating from the Kyoto Protocol.
Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva meanwhile predicted the 12-day meeting "won`t result in anything," after deciding not to attend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray