Airplane rivals launch joint biofuel project
Paris: Plane makers and bitter rivals Airbus of Europe, Boeing of the US and Embraer of Brazil have announced a joint plan to develop affordable biofuels for the airplane industry.
The airplane sector leaders yesterday agreed to seek opportunities "to speak in unity" to government and biofuel producers "to support, promote and accelerate the availability
of sustainable new jet fuel sources," a joint statement from the companies said.
The collaboration is intended to come up with a so-called "drop in" technology that all airplane models could use, regardless of the make.
Airbus and Boeing have already launched programmes independently to develop alternatives to kerosene, a major greenhouse gas pollutant, to power its airplanes.
"We are all committed to take a leading role in the development of technology programmes that will facilitate aviation biofuels development and actual application faster than if we were doing it independently," said Paulo C’sar Silva, Embraer chief executive.
The planemakers said they were committed to reducing the industry`s substantial carbon footprint, the term commonly used for emissions of greenhouse gases.
"We`ve achieved a lot in the last 10 years in reducing our industry`s (carbon) CO2 footprint -- a 45 per cent traffic growth with only three percent more fuel consumption," Airbus chief executive Tom Enders said.
Airbus on Wednesday announced a collaboration with airline Virgin Australia to explore biofuel production from eucalyptus leaves that grow in arid regions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended