Alaskan frogs freeze themselves to survive extreme cold
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: Scientists at the University of Alaska Fairbanks have found that wood frogs in subarctic interior Alaska survive cold during winter season by freezing themselves below minus 18 degrees Celsius for up to 218 days and then come back to life in the spring season.
Don Larson, lead author of the study, was quoted as saying “Alaska wood frogs spend more time freezing and thawing outside than a steak does in your freezer, and the frog comes back to life in the spring in better shape than the steak”.
Although wood frogs are freeze-tolerant amphibians which cover themselves by duff and leaf litter, creating a hibernacula (a small cave like structure), where temperatures are below freezing point, ye Larson’s research is believed to be the first to examine frogs under natural conditions.
To survive harsh winter conditions, the cells of these frogs hold a remarkable amount of glucose in their tissues which builds an additional layer and protects cells in a process called cryoprotection.
“In the field in early Autumn it`s freezing during the night, thawing slightly during the day, and these repeated freezing episodes stimulate the frogs to release more and more glucose,” Larson said.
The study may pave way for freezing of human organs to be used for transplant purposes later.
The study was published in the Journal of Experimental Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what