Alert in Maharashtra tiger sanctuaries to curb poaching
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has issued an alert in the tiger sanctuaries in the state following information that poachers are preparing to hunt down tigers.
Principal Secretary (Forests) Praveen Pardeshi said his department has got information that poachers of Bahalia gang from Katni are on the lookout for tigers here due to the demand from China.
"We have asked forest authorities for hundred percent monitoring of water holes in tiger reserves. Similarly, we have taken up advertisement and information campaign to apprise locals about the situation and promise rewards for information about poachers," he said.
Additional water holes will also be constructed so that tigers have alternate places.
Similarly, rewards will be given to locals who pass on information about poachers to authorities and help protect tigers following the state government`s decision to involve them in having a positive stake in wildlife conservation.
The move is aimed at avoiding tiger-human conflict in buffer zones outside tiger reserves.There are about 100 tigers outside the reserves without protection and efforts are on to give ownership of the Tiger reserves to the locals.
"Many times poachers are helped by locals," Pardeshi said.
"Villagers in Tadoba run the eco tourist routes. The guards and guide should be appointed from among the locals and the tourists pay the fees directly to them. The fees of local youth working as a tourist guide have been hiked from Rs 100 to Rs 200," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened