Algae could make Australia `rich with oil`: Study
Melbourne: Australia could become a major oil exporter like the Middle East if it starts farming native algae, claims a new study.
University of Queensland (UQ) researchers claimed that the native algae species was holding great future in the race for cheap, efficient biofuels which could compete with fossil fuels.
UQ`s Evan Stephens said microscopic algae from Australia`s fresh and saltwater environments have proven to be hardy and fast-growing and the most promising were now being trialled at a pilot processing plant in Brisbane.
"If we devoted just one per cent of our land mass to algae farming, we could theoretically produce five times more oil than we currently consume," he said.
"We could potentially become an oil exporter, rather than an importer. We could be like the Middle East," he said, adding previous study had focused on oil-rich algae, but those species had their shortcomings.
"Usually these are not fast-growing and they are tastier to predators - like microscopic scoops of ice-cream," Stephens said.
He said new technologies meant researchers could now look at a broader range of algae, including Aussie species that grow well, and are resistant to predators and temperature changes.
Stephens said algae fuels were some way off being commercially viable, but identifying the best species was a critical step.
"We know we can produce algae oil that is even higher quality than standard petroleum sources," he said.
The challenge now is to develop efficient production processes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?