Algal oil answer to dwindling fuel reserves
Sydney: Algal oils could be a sustainable solution to dwindling fuel reserves, says a researcher.
Roger Huerlimann, doctoral student at the James Cook University, Townsville, said microalgae, tiny aquatic organisms related to plants, use light and the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2) to produce oils similar to vegetable oils from plants.
"Two of the major problems in future will be the shortage of food and fuel. Microalgae have the potential to solve these two problems and more," said Heurlimann, according to a James Cook statement.
"Furthermore, the algal oils can be turned into biodiesel for cars and heavy machinery, as well as bio-kerosene for airplanes. This would provide the world with a clean, sustainable source of fuels.
"Nature has given microalgae incredibly effective `tools` in the form of enzymes to produce a high variety of valuable oils. My genetic work will make it possible to select specific microalgae which are suitable for the production of either biofuels or omega-3 fatty acids, among other possible applications."
The research will help in the search for more productive strains of algae, which produce the oils and fatty acids that are required for each individual application.
Huerlimann is part of a larger research team at James Cook, led by Kirsten Heimann, associate professor. The team explores cultivation of microalgae for the capture of carbon dioxide, a known greenhouse gas responsible for global warming.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price