All you need to know about Ozone layer depletion
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: We hear about the Ozone layer depletion due to climate change very often but hardly understand as to what impact this phenomenon can actually cause to our mighty planet Earth.
What is Ozone layer?
The ozone layer is a deep layer in the stratosphere, encircling the Earth that has large amounts of ozone in it. It acts as Earth`s natural guard against ultraviolet radiations (UV rays), which can cause skin cancer.
What is an Ozone hole?
The phenomenon of depletion of ozone layer has appeared, first over Antarctica in Northern hemisphere and Polar Regions. The main cause for ozone loss is due to chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Apart from CFCs, other harmful gases that are a resultant of human activities also contribute to ozone layer depletion.
Impact of Ozone layer depletion on Earth
For every 10% depletion of the ozone layer, one can expect 20% increase in UV radiation reaching to Earth. This radiation is very harmful as it can hamper immune system, alter genes, can cause skin cancer, damage crops, disrupt marine life and lead to an increase in global warming by affecting the CO2 absorption capacity of planktons in the ocean.
Overall atmospheric ozone is no longer declining as concentrations of ozone-depleting substances are now decreasing at a rate of about 1 percent every year. The decrease is the result of an international agreement regulating the production of certain chemicals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH