Ancient bird fossil found in China
Beijing: A fossil of a bird dating back to seven million years was discovered in northwest China, Xinhua reported Friday.
It was the first intact bird fossil ever found in the Hezheng county, said Chen Shanqin, deputy curator of the Hezheng County Ancient Animal Fossils Museum.
The county in Gansu province is located at the convergence of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau and the Loess plateau.
The fossil features a struggling bird with its wings fully stretched, Chen said Friday.
Judging from the stratum where it was buried, the fossil could date back more than seven million years, Chen said.
However, further study is needed to identify the specie, he added.
Archeologists have found over 30,000 ancient animal fossils in the county and neighbouring areas, including those of the primitive three-toed horse, the platybelodon, which is known as a shovel tusker, and a woolly rhino, which dates back to 2.5 million to 30 million years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister