Ancient gold artifacts found in Bulgarian tomb
London: Archaeologists have unearthed ancient golden artifacts linked to Alexander the Great during excavation works at a Thracian tomb in northern Bulgaria.
The significant finds are dated back to the end of the fourth or the beginning of the third century BC and were found in the biggest of 150 ancient tombs of a Thracian tribe, the Getae, which was in contact with the ancient Greeks, the Daily Mail reported.
The findings, at the Omurtag mount near the village of Sveshatari, include a tiara with animal motifs, a horse headpiece, a golden ring, 44 applications of female figures as well as 100 golden buttons.
According to history experts, the artifacts are likely to be remnants from the ritual burial of Gath ruler Kotela, one of the father-in-laws of Philip II of Macedon, the father of Alexander the Great.
“These are amazing findings from the apogee of the rule of the Getae,” the paper quoted Diana Gergova, head of the archaeologist team at the site of the ancient Getic burial complex, as saying.
“From what we see up to now, the tomb may be linked with the first known Getic ruler Cothelas,” she added.
Gergova also revealed that the treasure found seemed to be wrapped in a gold-woven cloth because a number of gold threads were discovered nearby.
Apart from this the professor also said that the team expects to discover a huge burial ground, probably related to the funeral of the Gath ruler Kotela.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'