Andaman tsunami warning system can alert in 3 min: Scientist
Port Blair: The Early Tsunami Warning System installed at Rangachang in Andaman and Nicobar Islands can predict a tsunami immediately after an earthquake, Chief Scientist of National Institute of Ocean Technology Vinith Kumar said.
"The system can predict tsunami within 3 minutes after the occurrence of the initial tremors and send alerts," he said addressing a meet held at Dollygunj here yesterday.
The system would assess the impact of waves during the earthquake for the possibility of triggering tsunami and send the alerts, he said.
After that, tsunami alert would be issued to the risk zones by the Centre in consultation with Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) at Hyderabad.
An ocean impact studies in different risk zones have been conducted and pointed out the areas to be submerged during the inundation of sea water by 5 to 15 mt.
Kumar said the report has been submitted to the administration to take measures, particularly resettlement of the people in the risk areas, which are likely to be submerged in case of rising sea level during the earthquakes and tsunamis.
He also said that Centre has installed 10 Fish Aggregating Devices (FAD) in 10 locations across the islands, including Mayabandar, Dilgipur, Chidiayatapu, Hut Bay, Car Nicobar and Campbell Bay for the benefit of the fishermen.
These devices at the cost of Rs 10 lakhs each have been designed and installed to improve the fish catch.
Explaining the functioning of the device, the scientist said the device fitted with a light could attract bigger fish, especially tuna fish and thereby help the fishermen catch a large quantity of fish.
He also said that the centre is planning a solar desalination project in the islands.
The Centre has been carrying out several projects to explore the rich resources of the ocean, besides creating awareness about its crucial role of providing resources, oxygen and medicine.
An Islands Resource Information System (IRIS) has been developed for better exploitation of the resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery