Andhra CM urges steps to protect rare animal species
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, asked officials to take steps to protect the state’s unique cattle species like Ongole bull, Punganur cow, Nellore sheep, besides other rare birds and animals found in the forests of Chittoor and Anantapur districts.
He stressed the need to take the concept of biodiversity to schools, colleges, farmers, tribals and villages. He also wanted the plantation of medicinal and aromatic plants to be taken up, according to a release issued by the chief minister`s office here today.
Andhra Pradesh is endowed with a rich biodiversity of plants and animals. There are 103 species of mammals, 365 species of birds, 78 species of reptiles, 21 species of amphibians 901 species of fishes and 3150 species of plants.
The government created a network-integrated protected system covering four biotic provinces with 6 national parks, 21 wildlife sanctuaries, a biosphere reserve all spread over 13,000 sq km of forest area, the release said.
The chief ninister was informed that about 1220 delegates from 164 countries participated in the biodiversity convention held here in the last four days.
Special chief secretary, in-charge of Environment and Forests M Samuel and other top officials attended the meeting.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India