Andhra Pradesh: Five held for killing a tiger
Hyderabad: Five persons were today arrested for allegedly killing a tiger in Nagarjunasagar Srisailam Tiger Reserve near Mannanur in Andhra Pradesh`s Mahabubnagar district.
Police also recovered its claws from them.
"The wild animal had killed a cow in Mannanur village, after which the carcass of the cow was laced with a poison, allegedly by a shepherd, G Lacha," a senior police officer said.
After consuming the poisoned carcass, the tiger died about two km away from Mannanur on January 16, he said.
Other accused, including Hari Singh and Jyotha Nayak, then stole the tiger`s claws and its whiskers, police said.
"The five persons were arrested during the course of investigation in connection with the case and recovered 17 claws and whiskers from them," the officer said.
According to police, the accused were booked under relevant sections of the Wildlife Protection Act and IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes