Another rhino killed in Kaziranga
Jorhat: Another rhino has fallen victim to the bullets of poachers in Kaziranga National Park this week, taking the total number of the animals killed to 29 this year, officials said Wednesday.
The poachers gunned down an adult female rhino with an AK-47 rifle and took away its horn at a spot between Tunikota and Konyamari camp under Bagori Range of the Park last night, sources said.
Hearing gunshots, the forest security personnel launched a search operation throughout the night and recovered the horn-less carcass of the animal today, they said.
Two empty cartridges of AK-47 rifle were found near the body.
The area has been cordoned off suspecting a group of poachers were hiding there and the elite Assam Forest Protection Force (AFPF), India Reserve Battalion (IRB) and police have launched a joint operation to trace the hunters, the sources said.
On August 31, a female rhino was shot dead by poachers also in Bagori Range of the heritage site and its horn taken away.
Assam is home to two-third of the world`s one-horned rhinos and Kaziranga has over 2,000 of the animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?