Ants, termites can boost wheat yields
Sydney: Allowing ants and termites to flourish on farmlands can boost wheat yields by more than a third, a finding that has a direct bearing on food output under changing climate.
The study, carried out on a farm in an arid zone in Western Australia, shows these insects play an eco-friendly role in dry climates similar to earthworms in wet climates.
"The areas of the farm where we didn`t apply pesticides produced a 36 percent higher yield of wheat than the control area," study co-author Nathan Lo from the University of Sydney`s School of Biological Sciences was quoted as saying by the journal Nature Communications.
Lo said the results were exciting as they promised to reduce the need for increasingly expensive and harmful petroleum-based products such as herbicides, pesticides and fertilisers, according to a Sydney statement.
"There are two main reasons we think this has happened. Firstly, the termites and ants create a lot of tunnels under the soil when they forage away from their nests, and this helps water absorption. This is particularly important in dry areas," he said.
"Secondly, bacteria in termite guts are able to fix significant amounts of nitrogen from the air. Some of this nitrogen is transferred to termite tunnels, helping to improve plant growth," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!