APEC seeks sweeping world emission cuts by 2050
Singapore: Asia-Pacific leaders plan to call for sweeping cuts in global greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 at a summit here next week, according to a draft communique obtained by a news agency on Friday.
"We believe that global emissions will need to peak over the next few years, and be reduced to 50 percent below 1990 levels by 2050, recognising that the time frame for peaking will be longer in developing countries," the draft said.
Leaders of the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum, including the United States and China, will meet in Singapore on November 14-15 to discuss global economic recovery, environmental issues and free trade.
The summit will come ahead of crucial world climate talks in Copenhagen in December.
The leaders, including US President Barack Obama, are expected to reaffirm their commitment to reaching a "good agreement in Copenhagen to enable the full, effective and sustainable implementation of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change," the draft said.
"Human-induced climate change is one of the biggest challenges facing the world," it said.
"Global action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions will need to be accompanied by measures to support the most vulnerable countries to assist them to adapt to the adverse impact of climate change."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Pak looks for lobbyist in US after recent diplomatic disasters
- Copa America Final: Messi `the best player of all time`, believes Chile manager Juan Antonio Pizzi
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 604—Tanushree plans a conspiracy to denigrate Pragya
- Micromax launches Unite 4, Unite 4 pro smartphones
- Football Transfer: Barcelona's Dani Alves undergoes Juventus medical