Arctic ice level down to a fifth since 1980
Washington: The Arctic has lost more than a third of summer sea-ice volume since a decade ago, and is only a fifth of what it was in 1980, according to satellite observations.
"What this new paper shows is that our ice loss estimates may have been too conservative, and that the recent decline is possibly more rapid," said study co-author Axel Schweiger, polar scientist in the University of Washington (UW) Applied Physics Lab.
"Other people had argued that 75 to 80 percent ice volume loss was too aggressive," said Schweiger, the journal Geophysical Research Letters reports.
Arctic sea ice is shrinking and thinning at the same time, Schweiger explained, so it`s normal for the summer ice volume to drop faster than the area covered, according to a Washington statement.
The system developed at Washington provides a 34-year monthly picture of what`s happening to the total volume of Arctic sea ice.
The Pan-Arctic Ice Ocean Modelling and Assimilation System, or PIOMAS, combines weather records, sea-surface temperature and satellite pictures of ice coverage to compute ice volume.
It then verifies the results with actual thickness measurements from individual moorings or submarines that cruise below the ice.
"Because the ice is so variable, you don`t get a full picture of it from any of those observations," Schweiger said.
"So this model is the only way to reconstruct a time series that spans multiple decades."
The UW system also checks its results against five years of precise ice thickness measurements collected by a specialized satellite launched by NASA in 2003.
The Ice, Cloud, and Land Elevation Satellite, or ICESat, measured ice thickness across the Arctic to within 15 inches until spring of 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark